Re: [ft] family_name of FT_FaceRec

From: Peter Weilbacher
Subject: Re: [ft] family_name of FT_FaceRec
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 10:16:34 +0200

On 11.05.2008 14:38, Peter Weilbacher wrote:
> I'm looking at the DejaVu fonts, specifically the condensed variant,
> like DejaVuSansCondensed-BoldOblique.ttf. When I load it with FreeType I
> see that the family_name as available in the FT_FaceRec structure is
> "DejaVu Sans". From where does FreeType get this info? If I try harder,
> i.e. load the FT_SfntName structure, I see that TT_NAME_ID_FONT_FAMILY
> does contain the full name, "DejaVu Sans Condensed"...

OK, so FT_Face->family_name is set to the preferred Windows family of the
TrueType "name" structure. But I'm on OS/2, so I think I want the normal
font family as listed in the font family field of the "name" structure.
(I would imagine that Linux users would want the same but I didn't check
my test program on Linux how FreeType reacts there.)
Can I change some #ifdef in the FreeType code (where?) or do I need to do
that by hand using FT_SfntName etc.?

   Peter.