Re: [ft] Glyph's Bitmap Beyond Ascender

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Glyph's Bitmap Beyond Ascender
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 14:29:35 +0200 (CEST)

> I've encountered a strange problem, where it appears as if a glyph
> is rendered beyond the maximum ascender, as well as the maximum bbox
> as reported by the FaceRec.  I understand that ascender is not always
> reliable, but as I understand from the docs, the bbox IS reliable.

No, it isn't.  From the docs of FT_Size_Metrics:

  Note that due to glyph hinting, these values [from FT_Size_Metrics]
  might not be exact for certain fonts. Thus they must be treated as
  unreliable with an error margin of at least one pixel!

  Indeed, the only way to get the exact metrics is to render all
  glyphs. As this would be a definite performance hit, it is up to
  client applications to perform such computations.