Re: [ft] Accessing font tables?

From: Ian Britten
Subject: Re: [ft] Accessing font tables?
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:41:34 -0300

address@hidden wrote:

I understand your touble as following:

1. ICU wants to access the memory mapped image of
   OpenType table which is specified by 4-letter tag
   (e.g. "kern", "GSUB", etc)

2. But FT_Get_Sfnt_Table() requires FT2-specific
   number, FT_Sfnt_Tag, to specify TrueType table.

3. So a conversion from 4-letter tag to FT_Sfnt_Tag
   is required. Which function does the conversion?

If I'm misunderstanding, please correct.

Ya, that's basically what my thinking was when I asked.
However...

I guess, ICU can want to access the OpenType table
which cannot be specified by FT_Sfnt_Tag (e.g. "GSUB"),
so another function FT_Load_Sfnt_Table() can be better.
FT_Load_Sfnt_Table() receives 4-letter tag to specify
the table in the font. How do you think of?

... this comment, in conjunction with Werners reply, makes
me think that FT_Load_Sfnt_Table() is maybe what I'm
looking for  (GSUB rings a bell).

[ It's too bad though that FT_Load_Sfnt_Table() returns
a copy though, wheras FT_Get_Sfnt_Table() just returns
the void*.  I'll have to maintain the copy somewhere, but
maybe it's not too bad... ]

Of course, that assumes that the LETag that ICU passes me
can be passed directly in as the FT_ULong that
FT_Load_Sfnt_Table() requires.  Otherwise, I'll have to
find out what these numbers are (in both ICU and FT) and
try to map them.  :(
(Grrr - Gotta find some way to get this code to be called!).

Thanks for the info!
Ian