[ft] Minimizing small file reads

From: ☂Josh Chia (谢任中)
Subject: [ft] Minimizing small file reads
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:39:11 -0800

Hi,

I notice that freetype makes a lot of small reads, resulting in a lot of SYS_read calls.  I'm using freetype in an app that runs in a ptrace sandbox, so performance is sensitive to system calls.  Is there a simple way to prevent the numerous small reads (via ft_ansi_stream_io), such as configuring freetype to prefetch into a large buffer when reading, and making it assume that font files never change?  Will I need to make some configuration changes or do I need to make code changes?  Thanks!

Josh