Re: [ft] FT_Face_Copy()?

From: Ian Britten
Subject: Re: [ft] FT_Face_Copy()?
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 08:24:40 -0300

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
In our code, we use FTC_Manager_New()/etc to cache the various
faces, glyphs, cmaps, etc.  [...]

I've recently added Cairo (http://cairographics.org/) support to our
code, for exporting to PDF/etc.  In order to get Cairo to render our
text correctly, I use their FT-specific rendering hooks,
specifically cairo_ft_font_face_create_for_ft_face()
http://cairographics.org/manual/cairo-ft-font.html#cairo-ft-font-face-create-for-ft-face

Unfortunately, this connection exposes a memory-management mismatch,
which is what I'm trying to simplify with this request [...]:

Asking the obvious: You have already contacted the cairo people?  If I
understand the issue correctly, it isn't directly a problem with
FreeType but an interface issue between cairo and FreeType.

Yes.  Actually, it was my discussions with them that resulted in them
adding the memory-management clarifications to the docs of that
function.

Their recommended solution was to not use the FT cache.  :P
[ Apparently, Pango doesn't use the cache, and they've never seen
anyone else use it either... ]

Adding an `FT_Face_Copy' shouldn't be very hard, but I'm not sure it
is the right solution to this problem.

I guess, given Davids comments in the other message, that this
function may actually be a 'no-go' for FT.  As such, I guess I'll
have to stick with what I've got...

Thanks for the feedback!
Ian