[ft] parallel glyph rendering

From: lmeyerov
Subject: [ft] parallel glyph rendering
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 00:39:11 -0700 (PDT)

1. I want to create a bunch of glyph bitmaps quickly (so the sequence
FT_Get_Char_Index, FT_Load_Glyph, FT_Render_Glyph, FT_Get_Glyph for a bunch
of font/size/character combinations). Can I do anything lighter weight than
multiple library objects? Some reason I thought that the finest granularity
is an FT_Face object, but I'm getting seg faults when I assign one Face per
thread. I was hoping to use a simple work stealing algorithm, while the
multiple-Lib approach is more cumbersome (would need a Lib resource pool or
a static and therefore tricky scheduler)

If it is indeed still possible, the documentation mentioned changing a macro
in <arch>/.../ftbuild.h to make a Library obj reentrant, but I didn't see
anything in there -- any hints on what to change?

2. If there is no finer granularity (as suggested by a message earlier this
week) and I need to use multiple Library objects, are there any special
flags / edits for supporting multiple libraries? [Perhaps the ftbuild.h note
was for this?]

3. Finally, perhaps I'm going about this wrong. Any suggested path for basic
rendering of a bunch of glyphs of a few fonts (each at various sizes)? My
approach was to use the call sequence mentioned above en masse, iterating
by: font, size, glyph. E.g., for better, cache behavior, it might be better
to iterate font/glyph/size.

Thanks for the awesome library! I'll post whatever I get working because
this is sort of basic functionality :)

- Leo