Re: [ft] Ideographic Variation Sequence (IVS)

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] Ideographic Variation Sequence (IVS)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:47:42 +0900

Hi,

OpenType specification had defined cmap table format 14 that
was designed by Adobe to use Unicode VS, and current FreeType2
supports the format (the driver was written by George Williams).
It was included in 2007-Oct, and freetype-2.3.6 had included it.

There are APIs to access VS data in cmap format 14:
        FT_Face_GetCharsOfVariant()
        FT_Face_GetCharVariantIndex()
        FT_Face_GetCharVariantIsDefault()
        FT_Face_GetVariantSelectors()
        FT_Face_GetVariantsOfChar()
For detail, please check API reference:
http://freetype.sourceforge.net/freetype2/docs/reference/ft2-index.html

However, if you expect that FT2 eats an Unicode string including
UVS and generates an image with specified glyph shape, it is
misunderstanding. Decomposition of Unicode string into each
base character and UVS should be done before calling FT2
rasterizer. Also UVS availability should be checked explicitly.

Regards,
mpsuzuki