[ft] Can I send/receive FT_*Rec structs via network or RPC?

From: Crend King
Subject: [ft] Can I send/receive FT_*Rec structs via network or RPC?
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 23:16:20 -0700

Hello friends. Recently I'm trying to build a server hosting the FreeType library and cache objects, and clients which request the rendered character bitmaps from the server. The advantage of doing this is the cache in the server is highly shared and reused, and the clients are only in charge of implementing the system-specific text out procedures. The problem is, sending/receiving the data via network or RPC or pipes requires marshaling or serialization. Since there are so many embedded pointers in the FT_*Rec structs, and some of them even have private members, how do I fully serializing them? Not only do I need the final FT_Bitmap, but also I need many metrics and flags stored in FT_Face and FT_Size, etc.

One way to solve this problem is to wrap every client-needed field into a RPC function, or network request. When the client implementation gets more and more complicated, the RPC interface may become messy, and the network protocol would be difficult to maintain. Is there any routine way to achieve this? I'm really new to FreeType and IPC. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!