Re: [ft] Freetype Scan Converter

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Freetype Scan Converter
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 08:15:28 +0100 (CET)

> Apologies if this is an FAQ, but is there some documentation for the
> algorithm anywhere?

Unfortunately, no.  This is David's work, and I have to take my hat
off to him :-)

I would be glad if you could contribute something, extending
FreeType's `raster.txt' file with an appropriate section.

> I've looked in the documentation and googled too, but other than a
> note saying "it uses the same algorithm as libArt", I haven't been
> able to find anything.  LibArt in turn doesn't appear to document it
> anywhere I can see.  If I'm being blind, then I apologise - any
> pointers would be much appreciated.

libart is available from

  http://git.gnome.org/browse/libart_lgpl/

and documentation for it seems to be here:

  http://www.gnome.org/~mathieu/libart/libart.html

> I understand that each cell stores a "cover" and an "area" value for
> a pixel, but the exact definition of the values stored there is
> eluding me.  [...]

The above page seems to nicely document it; perhaps not completely,
but there is definitely more than we have.