[ft] Re: umlauts : Different Position between Word and FreeType

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft] Re: umlauts : Different Position between Word and FreeType
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 13:17:03 +0100 (CET)

Céline,

please *never* send copyrighted material (in your case, the file
Font_U.ttf) to a public mailing list!  For this reason, I can't
forward your mail to the freetype mailing list (freetype-devel is
rather not for FreeType users).

> I have a question about umlauts.
>
> When I use letter "ü" with Microsoft Word ( with attached font), the
> umlaut (¨)is closer to the "u" whereas I use FreeType, the umlaut is
> further.

It's simple to explain: The `FreeType' image is using the autohinter,
while the `MS Word' image uses the native TrueType bytecode hinter.
However, you can make FreeType use the bytecode hinter also; this is
documented in the API description.  If you are using FontConfig to
control your system font, it is also possible to change the hinting
accordingly.

In both cases, bytecode hinting must be activated during compilation
of FreeType.  Since version 2.4.0, this is on by default.