Re: [ft] freetype on small embedded device

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] freetype on small embedded device
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:34:12 +0900

Hi,

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:06:55 +1000
Stuart Longland <address@hidden> wrote:
>This is a pet project I'm working, so I'm not working to a deadline.  I
>have here three STM32F103-based development boards (72MHz ARM
>Cortex-M3).  The microcontrollers themselves have 64kB RAM, 512kB flash,
>and the boards incoroporate a 320x240 pixel LCD panel, capable of 18-bit
>colour (6-bits/channel).  The device also has a 2GB MicroSD card
>installed.

Do you want to use FreeType2 on the system whose memory is 64kB?
Or, 64kB is just only on-chip & additional memory is available?
I remember there had ever been several posts asking for the
applicability of FreeType2 on extremely small systems (in comparison
with Unix-like systems assuming MMU), but usually the engineers
asking the question tell that the interpreter of TrueType is not
essential for their purpose and what they wanted are bitmap loader,
then, "FreeType2 is not the best solution for the people looking
for bitmap loader" was the answer in most cases.

>The plan is to make a multi-function device that, amongst other things,
>will hopefully be obtaining a GPS location and plotting that on a map.

Hmm, so you want to establish SVG rasterizer on your system?

Regards,
mpsuzuki