[ft] Bytecode hinter producing bad results, seems to be a regression

From: Vinnie
Subject: [ft] Bytecode hinter producing bad results, seems to be a regression
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 13:56:09 -0800 (PST)

Several months ago I noticed that the output of Freetype was worse for my
application. I've returned to working on that part of my application and now I
have something concrete. It seems the bytecode hinter is defective, and the
autohinter is working. Check out this image:

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/1057/freetypehinting.png

The only difference in the output, is the use of FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT.

Unhinted output looks fine (but I didn't include a screenshot).

I'm using a professional font, Helvetica Neue Com LT Md 65 from Linotype.

In the older version of Freetype (I forget which one), activating the bytecode
hinter did not produce those sickly thin and sometimes non-existent stems.

Any idears?