Re: [ft] CFF_MAX_CID_FONTS

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: [ft] CFF_MAX_CID_FONTS
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 13:42:01 -0500

>>>>> "TBWI" == Tom Bishop, Wenlin Institute <address@hidden> writes:

TBWI> Does anyone know why CFF_MAX_CID_FONTS (maximum number of
TBWI> sub-fonts in a CID-keyed file) is 32 in cfftypes.h? I'm using a
TBWI> font in which fd_index.count == 53 and triggers the following
TBWI> error in cffload.h:

TBWI>       if ( fd_index.count > CFF_MAX_CID_FONTS )
TBWI>       {
TBWI>         FT_TRACE0(( "cff_font_load: FD array too large in CID font\n" ));

TBWI> Changing CFF_MAX_CID_FONTS to 64 seems to solve the problem. I'd
TBWI> like to know (1) whether the number 32 is based on a
TBWI> specification, or if it's arbitrary, and (2) whether changing it
TBWI> to 64 is liable to cause any problem.

A quick check shows that:

  Werner pushed it from 15 to 32 seven years ago

  It is used to statically size two arrays

So the only reason to keep it small is to avoid wasting memory.

It looks like those arrays end up holding pointers, though, so the extra
memory use should be tiny.

Pushing it to 64 to accommodate larger fonts should not be problematic.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6