[ft] FT_Get_Advance spuriously returns advance 0

From: Gregor Mückl
Subject: [ft] FT_Get_Advance spuriously returns advance 0
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 18:08:33 +0100

Hi!

I think I'm in need for some hints in order to track this one down. Here's the problem:

I've run into a problem with text layouting engine that I've written based on Freetype. For some reasons, FT_Get_Advance sometimes returns an advance of 0 without reporting an error, while when called again later on, it does return the correct value for the same character within the same string. When it happens, it happens multiple times for consecutive characters. Each time the text layout is regenerated, the font size is changed to the same value using FT_Set_Pixel_Sizes if required, before any calls to FT_Get_Advance are made. I am fairly confident that the font-related state that I can control is the same each time FT_Get_Advance is called.

Peculiarly, on each run of the program, the same glyphs are affected - on both platforms that I can test the program on: On Linux with Freetype 2.4.6 and GCC 4.5 and with Visual Studio 2010 on Windows 7 (don't know the exact version of Freetype there ATM). Valgrind does not report anything serious, esp. no out of bounds memory accesses.

Do you have any ideas where I should start looking for the cause? Anything obivous that I might have missed? Comments and questions for more information are welcome :).

Regards,
Gregor