Re: [ft] glyphs' metrics and positioning

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] glyphs' metrics and positioning
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 19:14:54 +0200 (CEST)

> so slot->metrics.horiBearingX and slot->bitmap_left base on the same
> value, but later start to differ due to filters,

Yes, I think so.

> and additionally the latter is rounded to integer pixel coordinates
> even when hinting is disabled?

Well, a non-integer value is meaningless for pixmaps.

> Is there a way to get values corrected due to above?

`Corrected'?  What shall be corrected?

> The question is: since bitmap_left is always (even with hinting
> disabled) rounded to integer pixel coordinates, it can't be used to
> calculate the offset required to create the blending, because
> together with advance it is responsible for accurate positioning of
> glyphs (as in the cited example).

It sounds like you are theorizing here without a real example.  Have
you actually looked into the demo programs and checked how they work?
You don't need fractional pixel coordinates for blending!  FreeType
itself shifts the glyph appropriately to the non-integer position if
necessary, and you blend the glyph's pixmap using the integer offsets.

Maybe I really don't understand what you are complaining.  Most likely
this indicates confusing documentation, so please help improve that.