Re: [ft] Problem of oblique using FT_Outline_Transform

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Problem of oblique using FT_Outline_Transform
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 07:20:23 +0200 (CEST)

> 1. Werner said that changing advance width is not needed for oblique.
>     I want to know reason in detail.

See below.

> 2. How can I resolve this issue? Changing advance width is best way?

The answer I gave then is still valid:

  What you really want to apply at the end of the word is an `italic
  correction' (as used eg. in TeX or groff) so that the next
  non-slanted word doesn't collide with the slanted text.  An
  automatic value might be computed based on the last glyph's height
  and the slant angle.

Here an example:

  http://tex.pienose.com/4062/space-between-emphasized-word-and-parenthesis.html

[Note that groff's font metric files actually can contain left italic
 correction values as discussed in the link.]