Re: [ft] Management of resources for bitmap

From: Govind
Subject: Re: [ft] Management of resources for bitmap
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 00:39:43 +0530

Hello Jacques,

I think yes, you need to manage bitmap buffer of your own while rendering. By static resource what I mean is to generate compilable bitmap resource file. To make it clear, writing  steps to get it done  -

1. Developing a font tool using freetype libs for bitmap generation. For bitmap generation, this tool will work in offline mode i.e. having no interface with your renderer.

2. Each bitmap resource file generated will be carrying single size bitmap font.
3. For example, if target language is being C, your bitmap resource file will be as verdana_bold_18_size.c
4. This .c file would contain bitmaps array for Latin chars from Unicode 0x00 to 0xFF.
5. Later this .c would be accessed by renderer code for rendering glyphs using index scheme.
6. If your renderer is capable of pixel level rendering, freetype can be eliminated from loop.

Since, fonts are generated in offline mode, freetype resource's memory issue no longer exists. Only limitations with this procedure is that, you need to finalize number of fonts and their sizes in advance for later use in renderer code.

I hope this will work for you. :)

Regards
Govind