Re: [ft] Regression in font clarity with Adobe engine

From: Dave Arnold
Subject: Re: [ft] Regression in font clarity with Adobe engine
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 10:17:51 -0800

Hi Mike,

I don't know what setting "X.org gamma" does, but it sounds like it might be
the wrong place to look. I'm not talking about changing a system setting for your
monitor. Your monitor should most commonly be in a non-linear space, like sRGB. That's
necessary for displaying most images, photos, videos, etc. The gamma I am talking about
is used used for compositing anti-aliased text into an image. Anti-aliasing requires the
blending operation to be done in a linear color space. When compositing into a non-linear
space, the steps are:
 1) convert foreground (text color) and background pixels to a linear color
space
 2) blend the two colors according to the anti-alias density (alpha) value
 3) convert the result back to the original non-linear space
This calculation is performed only in the code that composites anti-aliased
text. The calculation needn't be precise, so a simple table lookup of a power
function with an exponent (gamma) of about 1.8 can be used.

Thanks.

-Dave