Re: [ft] : Microsoft YaHei UI font can't be displayed well

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] : Microsoft YaHei UI font can't be displayed well
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 06:58:49 +0200 (CEST)

> when i test the freetype 2.5.3 with microsoft YaHei UI font in 12,
> 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24 pixel size, i find Freetype engine can't
> handle it correctly in some text size, ex: 12, 14, 24 px size.  I
> have enabled TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER and
> TT_CONFIG_OPTION_SUBPIXEL_HINTING.  I add an attachment here.  The
> character "据" (unicode: U+636E)used as test case in attachment.

Yes, it looks strange (I used version 6.02 of msyh.ttf for testing).
It seems to be a problem with the subpixel hinting code, since results
are much better with classic hinting (toggle key `H' in the ftview
demo program).

To help in debugging the issue: Can you provide images for the same
pixel sizes rendered with MS Windows?  And if possible, please provide
similar renderings for character U+636F also.