Re: [ft] Gamma (?) huge difference between FreeType and others (OS X, or

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Gamma (?) huge difference between FreeType and others (OS X, or even FreeType based MacType)
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 07:55:28 +0200 (CEST)

> I'm fully confused. I don't know how to say properly, because I'm
> not talking about font's darken/slightly, I'm saying, they just like
> got the different "colors" of the results.
>
> Putting them together,
> https://i.imgur.com/dpDEEzO.png
> https://i.imgur.com/EJdaCQQ.png
>
> As you can see, even the MacType got the results as same as OS X.
> Only Linux is so different.

Have a closer look at the glyph `お'.  You can clearly see that OS X
and Linux use different fonts.  Before drawing any conclusions about
the `weirdness' on Linux, you should make sure to compare the
rendering of the *same* fonts – in the same font format!  Especially
the latter can be of some importance, since CFF (.otf) and TrueType
(.ttf) are technically different and thus handled separately.