Re: [ft] Change in monochrome rendered font behaviour from 2.5.0.1 to 2.

From: follower
Subject: Re: [ft] Change in monochrome rendered font behaviour from 2.5.0.1 to 2.5.1
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 01:58:17 -0700

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

On 11 June 2015 at 23:45, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>> It's not clear to me if this is a bug or an intended change in behaviour.
>
> It's intentional.
Thanks for clarifying that and for your explanation. Is this covered
in the Changelog somewhere?

> Unfortunately, the DejaVu Sans Condensed Bold font (version 2.34) is
> lying: It contains both an `fpgm' and `prep' table, but not a single
> glyph is hinted!
Is there an easy way to see whether those tables exist and if there's
no hinted glyphs?

> The proper solution of course is to fix the font.
It seems like the instructions are intentionally disabled due to
Condensed's "experimental" status:

<https://github.com/dejavu-fonts/dejavu-fonts/blob/master/scripts/generate.py#L37>

AFAICT they use `fontforge` to do the font generation--could this be
an issue with fontforge generating the 'fpgm' and 'prep' tables when
it shouldn't?

> The second best solution is to set up a FontConfig rule that enforces
> auto-hinting for this font.
>From looking into this and trying it, am I correct in thinking this
won't work with PIL/Pillow because it doesn't use fontconfig?

Thanks again for your help on this.

--Philip;