Re: [ft] Freetype license

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Freetype license
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 06:32:19 +0100 (CET)

Hello Titone!

> Hi, I am considering using Freetype in my OpenGL project, that I
> would like to keep closed-source.  I am confused about your
> licensing as the GPL requires making source code to my project
> available, and the Freetype License (FTL) doesn't.  The FTL only
> requires attribution and distribution of the license conditions.  I
> was wondering if I use Freetype alone or say with something like
> Pango, which license I'm required to follow.

Pango is LPGL2, so you need GPL for your project only if you are going
to link statically with Pango (and you have to publish your source
code then).  In that case you need the GPL2 version of FreeType, since
the FTL is not compatible with LGPL2 due its advertisement clause.
BTW, the same is true for all other GPL or LGPL code you are going to
link statically.

For all other cases, you can use FTL.