[ft] v40 hinting engine and load flags?

From: Pierre Ossman
Subject: [ft] v40 hinting engine and load flags?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 18:03:53 +0200

Hi,

I've just updated to Fedora 26 and unfortunately I have to say that I find the new v40 engine makes many of the fonts I encounter to be noticeably harder to read. One such example is DejaVu Sans Mono, which is the default monospace font on Fedora.

I found the documentation for the environment variable to override this, so the immediate issue is resolved. But thinking long term I'd like to hear your opinions on tying this in to the load flags.

Before 2.7 the load flags generally meant that NORMAL was hinted in both directions and LIGHT only vertically. The new code however has no mode that hints fully. Have you considered tying v35 to NORMAL and v40 to LIGHT? That would retain previous behaviour better. It would remove the current behaviour of forcing autohinting with LIGHT, but I'm not sure if that is needed now that v40 exists.

(The documentation also states that LCD is a variant of LIGHT, but that doesn't seem to be true in my testing)

Regards
--
Pierre Ossman