[ft] Drawing underline and strikethrough

From: Christian Dürr
Subject: [ft] Drawing underline and strikethrough
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 22:31:04 +0100

Hello,

I've been working with freetype recently and tried using the metrics on
the font face to get information about underline position and thickness.
Using those I've run into an odd issue. No matter how big the font, the
thickness and position is always the same. But as far as I understand
it, the thickness of the underline and strikethrough should change with
a bigger font, right? And if the thickness changes, the position will
probably need some adjustment too.
*Is there a way to get the position/thickness that takes font size
into account?*
I've also noticed that there is no fixed underline position in the
metrics. Reusing the underline thickness for strikethrough should be
fine, but I'm not aware of any method to get strikethrough position.*
*
*Is there a standardized way to calculate strikethrough position?*

I wasn't able to find documentation on how underline and strikethrough
should be calculated and positioned (only a short mention about the
position and thickness methods), so if there is some documentation on
that, I'd love to get a link.
Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

Christian Duerr