Re: Variable fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Variable fonts
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2023 08:06:26 +0000 (UTC)

> I am currently using the multiple master feature of freetype library
> to support the variable fonts.  There is an issue that I am facing
> currently.  For an example, consider that I am making letter "A"
> bold using the weight axis but in my system I want to be able to
> uniquely identify the default normal "A" and the bold "A" but since
> the unicode id will be same for both normal "A" and bold "A", Is
> freetype library providing any other identifier which can uniquely
> identify them?

No.  How should FreeType do that?  You input a glyph index, and the
library returns a rasterized image of the glyph, nothing more.  All
information FreeType can give is in the `FT_Face` structure and its
related sub-structures and siblings.

Such 'tagging' must be done at a higher library level: essentially,
it's you who specifies the parameters for the variable font, so it's
you who has to track them, too.