Re: 2.10.3 BW renderer changes

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: 2.10.3 BW renderer changes
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 20:53:29 -0500

Hi Davide,

Thank you. I don't know how much you know about hinting vs rendering.
You seem to be confused about FT_LOAD flags.

> FT_Load_Char(face, 'e', FT_LOAD_DEFAULT | FT_LOAD_TARGET_LIGHT |
> FT_LOAD_MONOCHROME | FT_LOAD_NO_BITMAP);

FT_LOAD_DEFAULT is just 0 and is meaningless in the OR-chain.
FT_LOAD_NO_BITMAP mean no embedded bitmaps, which Arial does not have,
if I am not mistaken
FT_LOAD_MONOCHROME is a selector of rendering algorithm, but you
postpone it until later. It has no effect
FT_LOAD_TARGET_LIGHTis the only flag that does a lot here: it enables
autohinting but only vertically, bytecode is disabled.

As a result you might indeed use wrong hinting (or without horizontal
hinting) for a mono rendering. Please try FT_LOAD_TARGET_MONO as our
documentation clearly suggests for monochrome rendering. See
https://freetype.org/freetype2/docs/reference/ft2-base_interface.html#ft_load_xxx.

> FT_Render_Glyph(face->glyph, FT_RENDER_MODE_MONO);

You might argue that it used to work. I really do not know how. Again,
you should get an Ok output with just FT_LOAD_TARGET_MONO do not make
it more complicated than that.

Alexei

--
Alexei A. Podtelezhnikov, PhD