fsf-community-team

[fsf-community-team] Re: Welcome to the "fsf-community-team" mailing lis

From: Simon Waters
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 21:50:28 +0000

address@hidden wrote:

> 1) Send us a quick introduction. What blogs, news sites, or
> communities do you follow? Are there particular news topics that you
> would like to focus on?

Simon here in the UK. Found the GNU project via GNU Chess program about
22 years ago, the big boost was switching to a GNU/Linux desktop circa 1999.

Active in a number of skeptical communities online. Some IT security,
DNS and Email communities.

Struggling to find time to do existing commitments - but if there are
small things....

>     * The Free Software Definition
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Definitely didn't have "tivoization" in it last time I read it.

>     * Why Open Source Misses the Point of Free Software
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
>     * Did You Say Intellectual Property? It's a Seductive Mirage
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr.html
>     * What's in a Name? http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html
>     * Words to Avoid http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html

I'm getting better at these; RMS may still find occasion to growl if he
listens for too long.

>     * Excerpt: Richard Stallman started the FSF in order to promote
> open source software like the Linux operating system, as an
> alternative to expensive software like Windows.

Three issues:
 "Free Software" not "open source"
 "GNU/Linux" not "Linux"
 "Freedom" not "Expense" - last I looked Redhat were charging more for
their Enterprise "free software" offering than competitors proprietary
offerings.

>     * Excerpt: Now with cloud computing and web-based applications,
> even Linux users can use the same software as everyone else, through
> their browsers. With other popular programs like Skype and Adobe Flash
> producing Linux versions, the Linux desktop may finally be catching
> on!

I hate the term cloud computing. If the virtual server I rent is on some
sort of cluster, am I doing cloud computing without even knowing it?

Whilst GNU/Linux users can use proprietary software on websites and the
desktop, this approach won't long term provide better systems. One can
see this where GNU/Linux has been ported to many platforms, including
newer 64 bit systems, but only a small number of the most popular of
these platforms have working Flash plugins from Adobe, the free software
alternative flash plug-ins are generally ported to more platforms
because the people who want to use these platforms are free to make it
happen.

There are interesting things afoot on the web. Google at least
acknowledges users need access to their data for back-ups and other
purposes unlike some web service providers, but there are a number of
projects to provide social networking and related services, where you
can take the software as well (usually under AGPL), and create an
interoperable service and keep your friends etc.

>     * Excerpt: When combined with the other chapters that include
> statutory damages, search and seizure powers for border guards,
> anti-camcording rules, and mandatory disclosure of personal
> information requirements, it is clear that there is no bigger
> intellectual property issue today than the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
> Agreement being negotiated behind closed doors this week in Korea.

An issue I wasn't aware of. Aside from suggesting the term "copyright"
would be better than "intellectual property" here, seems to be drawing
attention to an important issue.