fsf-community-team

Re: [fsf-community-team] Reminder: put your introduction in the Wiki

From: James Phillips
Subject: Re: [fsf-community-team] Reminder: put your introduction in the Wiki
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 17:03:25 -0700

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:33:02PM -0500, Holmes Wilson wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Just a quick reminder.  If you haven't already, put your introduction in
> the wiki, linked next to your name:
>
> http://groups.fsf.org/wiki?title=Group:FSF/Community_Team/Planning&action=edit&section=1
>
> And would somebody like to volunteer to collect any stragglers'
> introductions and put them in the wiki?

Hello,

I am one of the straglers. The first time I didn't add my information, I
didn't want go go looking for my list password. Now that I tried it, I
see that I am expected to create a separate "LibrePlanet" account.

I was initially not able to create an account:
I was recieving an invalid password error because my  login name
exceeded 8 characters. (or maybe the text captcha was a dummy that
flagged a moderator)

> Once they're all collected (or most of them) I'll let you know and we
> can start adding comments and suggestions to each others' sample
> so this can happen piecemeal.  But since we're in this kind of
> bootstrapping phase right now, it seems like dong things in a big batch
> is the best way to go.

Possibly off-topic, but is this list moderated? When I first signed up
the archives were empty, so I assumed there was a better than 50% chance
that initial posts were private. I included some cyber-stalking tips in
my email that I have been debating about putting on my website. I guess
the "cat is out of the bag" now. :/

I have noticed I am not the only one who made such an assumption: I have
seen two intro posts without the list pas5w0rd5 scrubbed. In both cases
I sent the person in question an e-mail alerting them to that fact. Me
being able to do this seems to contradict the following statement:
"This is a hidden list, which means that the list of members
   is available only to the list administrator."
 Linkname: fsf-community-team Info Page

I suppose seeing the address of the sender is not exactly the same
thing, but my initial impression was that all addresses would be translated to
something like: address@hidden

The reason I think the list is moderated is that during my initial
(second) post, I suddenly recieved ~20 messages. In addition, I have
seen several double posts were the sender said to the effect:
"Did not see my initial message, so assuming filters got it."

Regards,

James Phillips

PS: I will be adding my name to the wiki shortly.
PPS: used L33T-speak to avoid unwanted notice from search engine users
using a common search term.
PPps: I just realized the posts in question may come up anyway.