fsfc-discuss

[fsfc-discuss] Fwd: Re: "FSF Canada"

From: Russell McOrmond
Subject: [fsfc-discuss] Fwd: Re: "FSF Canada"
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 17:33:11 -0500

Forwarding with permission.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: "FSF Canada"
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 06:38:42 -0500
From: Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org>
To: Russell McOrmond <russell at flora.ca>
CC: johns at gnu.org

You're welcome to send my previous message and this one to the list
if you wish.

The current bill is a re-tabling of a bill that died when an election
    called.  We've already been told that anyone who appeared in front of
    the committee for the previous bill will not be allowed to speak at
    committee for the new bill.

I agree this is the most important issue in Canada right now.

       While I spoke in front of the committee ( http://c11.ca/own has
links), it seemed obvious that MPs did not understand the arguments and
    how TPMs applied to devices are an infrignement of our property rights
    as technology owners (and from that the threats to free software, etc).

It sounds like they need to be educated one by one, by their
constituents.  Michael Geist's ill-chosen term "digital locks" gives
the wrong idea, so it is an impediment to this.  The FSF calls them
"digital restrictions management (DRM)" and "digital handcuffs".

We also reject the term "TPM", along with the term "protection", and
say "technical restriction measures".

The FSF can ask its members, and the DefectiveByDesign list, "Are you
Canadian, and do you want to take action against the digital handcuff
provisions of C-11"?

       Can the FSF ensure that someone is available to speak?  I can do my
    part to help get an FSF speaker onto the list to ensure that our
critical voice is heard. I've been active on this file for some time, and have gotten to know a number of the MPs who will be on the committee.

If it needs to be a Canadian speaker, I don't know anyone other than
you, but we can ask around as I said.

If it is for public speaking, we can arrange for me to go if it does not
have to be soon.  I don't know how much time there is.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation