fsfc-discuss

Re: [fsfc-discuss] Technological measures in a land of myth and a time o

From: Russell McOrmond
Subject: Re: [fsfc-discuss] Technological measures in a land of myth and a time of magic
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 09:53:55 -0400

On 12-03-27 08:53 AM, David Dawson wrote:
> An analogy to TPM
> If TPM is considered to be a sort of bullet-proof jacket

Not sure this deals with the real-world scenario, rather than what the vendor marketing material claims.

The technological measures are applied to our devices by someone other than the owner. It is illegal for us to unlock our devices in order to implement our own security policy, or to unlock content such that it is interoperable with the devices we own. People are being forced to use non-owner locked devices if they wish to participate in culture (today to access popular entertainment, and likely soon communicate on popular social media sites, etc).

It is more like a bullet attraction jacket. We are forced to wear these jackets by a law which ties our right to leave our homes and participate in every-day life (communicate with others, participate in culture, etc) with wearing such a jacket. Rather than protecting the person wearing them they have a magnetic pull which would attract bullets that would otherwise miss us, making us more vulnerable to guns than we would be otherwise. Not only is it illegal for us to remove these jackets in public, but it is illegal for us to wear bullet-proof jackets in order to protect ourselves from attraction jackets or bullets in general.

Suggesting that technological measures "protect" someone (copyright holders, or anyone else) rather than making all concerned more vulnerable (other than anti-competitive benefits to device manufacturers) is to be discussing the science-fiction version of these technologies.

 Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
 rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
 http://l.c11.ca/ict

  manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
  portable media player from my cold dead hands!"