fsfe-france-gpl

[Fsfe-france-gpl] address@hidden: RE: GNU GPL]

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Fsfe-france-gpl] address@hidden: RE: GNU GPL]
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:29:41 +0100

        Hi,

        Here is the reply of Sean Doherty to my message. From the tone
of his reply and the fact that he took time to read my mail, it may
be worthwhile to engage a dialog with him to clarify things. I first
feared (from the tone of the article) that he would just be relunctant
to discuss further, to reconsider the opinion expressed in the article.

        Cheers,

-----
Loic,

You've provided a real-world example of the GPL in action and that it's good for
business. I have no good response but to thank you for your effort.

My aim in writing the article was to explain the problems in open source
licensing which did not accomplish it's purposes well. It was certainly not an
effort to tear the GPL down. That would accomplish nothing as I believe the open
source community has the strength and the perserverance to accomplish their goal
in bringing open source software to the world. The fact that we have a multitude
of licenses out there is problematic and hindering the overall effort.

Thanks for your patronage in reading the Magazine and taking the time to
comment. It adds to our editorial perspective in future endeavors of this nature
and brings us closer to our readers.

 - sean

Sean Doherty
Technology Editor