fsfe-france

[Fsfe-france] Re: chapters on Stallman, Wall & Raymond

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Fsfe-france] Re: chapters on Stallman, Wall & Raymond
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:57:35 +0100

Adam Brate writes:
 > Thanks for your comments; they're invaluable.
 >

 > >I'd be happy to contribute more extensively (I mean beyond mere
 > >corrections) if the chapters were published under a free documentation
 > >license. Could you tell me if it is (or will be) the case ?
 >
 > The book itself (unfortunately, in many ways) is not published under a
 > free documentation license, but I will build an accompanying website
 > with much more information from and related to the book.

        This is good. Not having a free documentation license for that
kind of book is not problematic, according to me. It is critical for
technical documentation to be released under a free documentation licence
but this is a different issue.

        I'd like to invite you to ask your editor to consider publishing
the book under a "verbatim copy is permitted as long as this copyright
notice is preserved" license. There is very little chance that he agrees
but that will help a little anyway. If more people ask for books to be
freely shareable among readers it will increase the chance for this
practice to become wide spread, eventually.

        I'm convinced that editors will have a much more prosperous
business if it is not mandatory to buy a paper copy to read a book.

 > Thanks again for reading the chapter; I'll digest your comments and
 > incorporate them into the final draft.  Please let me know if you have a
 > chance to read the other chapter as well.

        I'm in the process of moving to another appartement and slightly
underestimated the amount of time it requires. But I'll try to read
the other chapter asap.

        Cheers,

75019    Paris         T: 33 1 42 45 09 16          address@hidden