fsfe-france

Re: [Fsfe-france] Re: 01net Conference (December 20)

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-france] Re: 01net Conference (December 20)
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 08:59:25 +0100

 > What is also not clear to me is who this conference discuss
 > the 2 aspects:
 >  - free software in enterprise : using them
 >    Today, I would argue that it is a good idea to use them for
 >    servers, hiring qualified people, but a little too early for
 >    end users. It takes time to change habits and it is better to
 >    do it at the right time.

        It is not clear from the conference planning that this will a
subject covered. However, since it's always mentionned even in small
events, I guess it will be covered.

        I bet this will be said:

        "Although Free Software is good for servers, one must acknowledge
that it is not appropriate in many cases, such as an end user desktop."

        instead of

        "Free Software is making rapid progress on the desktop front and
is already usable in some cases."

        The former implies that Free Software is some kind of company
that failed to produce a product to match the current competitors
standards.  The later implies that the Free Software desktop is still
a bit young to cover all needs but should be supported, no matter how
late it is, because it stands on morally acceptable ethical grounds.

        Cheers,

75019    Paris         T: 33 1 42 45 09 16          address@hidden