[Fsfe-uk] What needs to be done.

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] What needs to be done.
Date: 22 Aug 2001 12:30:21 +0100

Hi,

With the loss of any immediate opportunity to meet at an event, this
list seems to have gone quite quiet recently.  Nothing has been said
for a while about a face-to-face meeting in the midlands and it seems
that this project is slowing down for a bit.  We could speculate about
the reasons for that, but I think it's more useful to press on again.

Now, these are just my random thoughts on the topic, but what I think
we need to do are the following, not necessarily in this order:

DECIDE ON THE FORM OF A UK FSF AFFILIATE ORGANISATION.

I think there are two choices.  The first is an simple association,
with certain assets in its name and being held between a number of
"trustees" but not formally incorporated.  The second is a registered
charity, which would give a few tax breaks, but cost more to set up
and have ongoing legal costs.

If we wish to be a charity, we would need to find a suitably tame
legal person and accountant, preferably at a reasonable rate, unless
any of the group is qualified in these and keeping it quiet.

DECIDE ON THE CHARTER

We have a charter for the mailing list, but I think something a little
more specific would be needed for an organisation.

PICK A NAME

I don't really care, but I'd rather not be an oddly-titled FSF
chapter, as there are *no* FS organisations in this country yet, so I
think a little more freedom to react to local conditions would be a
good thing.

DRAFT SOME POLICIES

So, what are we going to do?  We need to be careful to remember the
80/20 rule and that the 20 may not be worth doing just now.

MEET FACE-TO-FACE

Just to work any remaining bugs out, as many as possible should meet
somewhere in the midlands as soon as the above are nearly settled.

FORM THE ORGANISATION

...and then we go.

Right, what did I miss?