Re: [Fsfe-uk] hello world; logo

From: Axel Segebrecht
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] hello world; logo
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 20:34:34 -0000 (GMT)

> Hi, I'm on here too now, well have been for a while actually

Hi Paul

> Zebra - trying to think of a link with black & white, but my brains
> not working at the moment.

GNU Zebra = routing software (http://www.zebra.org/)
Zebraweb Ltd Based in Cambridge (http://www.zebraweb.com/)
... and a few others are using it.

Not sure a Zebra fits too well...

PosiWeb (http://posiweb.net) uses the Giraffe + a few others...

> Osterich - possibly an Emu as an alternative with a similar short
> format - EMU Baybe Unix? ;-)

For everyone who wants to know more about Ostriches:
http://www.ostrichesonline.com/general/quickfacts.html

BTW It's the "Road Runner" bird - quite cool idea though..

- Ostriches cannot fly
  > Like Tux and - of couse - the GNU

- Ostriches produce the strongest commercially available leather in
  the world and some of the most beautiful feathers
  > We are strong yet beautiful ;)

- Ostriches are not an endangered species
  > Neither are we

- When fully grown an Ostrich has one of the most advanced immune
  systems known to mankind.
  > Sounds like Linux...

... Many more facts in the link above - sounds like a good
'logo bird' to me.

EMU or emeu pronounced as: myoo, common name for a large, flightless
bird of Australia, related to the cassowary and the ostrich.
It is 5 to 6 ft (150-180 cm) tall and a very swift runner.
(from http://www.encyclopedia.com/articles/04101.html)

Couln't find a picture though :(

Regards, Axel
http://axel.gardeneden.net/