Re: [Fsfe-uk] VP3 open source?

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] VP3 open source?
Date: 09 Dec 2001 08:50:07 +0000

On Sat, 2001-12-08 at 23:39, address@hidden wrote:
> The contribution of VP3.2 into the Open-Source community marks the
> first time a competitive video codec has been made available.

I think Alan Cox has had this on his site for a while - certainly, I
remember seeing this a while ago.

Currently, this is not Free software - it's a non-Free version of the
MPL licence, and I think also has patent issues.  From reading of their
site, it looks like vp3 is based - to some extent - on mpeg-type
technologies (they suggest it would be very easy to add mpeg support to
it).

Anyway, I think the Ogg Tarkin guys are ahead of you:

http://www.xiph.org/archives/tarkin-dev/200109/0062.html

.. so we may see some movement at some point.