Re: [Fsfe-uk] DMCA gag for google?

From: Simon Waters
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] DMCA gag for google?
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 14:40:55 +0000

Martyn Ranyard wrote:

> Grrr... busy, busy bee.
>
> Headline : Scientologists gag Google
>
> Google was served with what appears to be a legally-proper DMCA notice, in
> that it is signed under penalty of perjury and asserts that the complainer
> has a good-faith belief that copyrights are being violated because a page
> linked to from Google contains Church of Scientologists Scriptures.

This is copyright run riot in the Digital age. Clearly this
undermines the whole search engine business plan, which clearly
wasn't an intended consequence of Copyright law.

Perhaps I should file every Usenet archive with a DCMA notice
asking them to remove every post that ever quotes an extract of
mine in Usenet. That should sink Google.

It would at least encourage people to snip unneeded paragraphs
when replying to a thread ;)

Yet another example of how dated our copyright laws have become
in so short a time.