[Fsfe-uk] Wired - Letter: Free Software Hurts U.S. ;-)

From: Paul Mobbs
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Wired - Letter: Free Software Hurts U.S. ;-)
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 00:05:27 +0100

http://www.wired.com/news/linux/0,1411,55989,00.html?tw=wn_ascii

Letter: Free Software Hurts U.S.

By Robert McMillan
WIRED, 02:00 AM Oct. 25, 2002 PDT

An attack on the software license behind the Linux operating system has
stirred up a free software controversy in Washington.

Earlier this week, three members of the House of Representatives, Adam Smith
(D-Wash.), Ron Kind (D-Wis.) and Jim Davis (D-Fla.), sent a note to 74
Democrats in Congress attacking Linux's GNU General Public License (GPL) as a
threat to America's "innovation and security."

The note urged members to support a letter written by Reps. Tom Davis (R-Va.)
and Jim Turner (D-Texas) to Richard Clarke, who heads the board in charge of
hammering out U.S. cybersecurity policy. Davis and Turner's letter asks that
the plan explicitly reject "licenses that would prevent or discourage
commercial adoption of promising cybersecurity technologies developed through
federal R&D."

There's only one problem.

Tom Davis and Jim Turner say their letter has absolutely nothing to do with
open source or the GPL.

"The (Tom) Davis letter was not intended to address the open-source debate,"
Tom Davis spokesman Dave Marin said. "All this letter does is request that
the status quo be maintained, so that we can maintain interest in federal
R&D."

Smith, whose largest political contributor is Microsoft, has come under fire
for his involvement in the controversy.

<SNIP>

- --
- -------------------

"We are not for names, nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for
this party nor against the other but we are for justice and mercy and
truth and peace and true freedom, that these may be exalted in our nation,
and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace and unity
with God, and with one another, that these things may abound."
(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul Mobbs, Mobbs' Environmental Investigations,
tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864

email - address@hidden
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey.html
public key - http://www.fraw.org.uk/keylist.html