Re: [Fsfe-uk] Education Campaign?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Education Campaign?
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 23:39:53 -0000

Tom Coady <address@hidden> wrote:
> I have been trying to find sources of training for http://www.onlamp.com
> technologies locally and find there are none. Talking to the local technical
> college has brought some very luke warm reception with answers like no one
> uses this software anyway

This one is just silly.  That is not their concern, as long as their costs
are covered.  If no-one is providing training for the software locally, then
of course takeup is likely to be lower.  What you need to show is that there
is interest.

> or that the IT department will not cooperate to
> provide compatible/enabled equipment.

Yes, academic IT departments tend to be a law unto themselves, AFAIK.

Another possibility is that there is some large user of free software who
has enough machines and is willing to be a training venue.  This might be
a school, college, or internet cafe.  Or maybe you can find someone with
a suite of systems which can boot from CD-ROM, floppy or network and
take something like an LTSP server machine along and use their suite as
overpriced thin clients.  Not easy, but maybe one of these is possible.

[...]
> status (money?) from the Learning and Skills Council for the college -except
> that this college only offers courses on proprietory software.

...and is it of the "do this/do that" type, I wonder.

--
MJR   http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   IM: address@hidden
      This is my home web site.   This for Jabber Messaging.

How's my writing? Let me know via any of my contact details.