Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patents

From: Bernhard Kaindl
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software patents
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:41:11 +0200

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Phil Driscoll wrote:

> I recently emailed my (labour) MEP regarding software patents.
>
> Below is his response. If anyone who is more clued up about this issue than I
> am has ideas for a suitable response, please let me know.

I'll try...

> ************************
> The patenting of computer-implemented inventions is not a new phenomenon:
> patents involving the use of software have been applied for and granted since
> the earliest days of the European Patent Office (EPO).

LOL!!!!!

your MEP did just copy'n'paste from a note from McCarty.

You can find her complete note at:
http://swpat.ffii.org/events/2003/europarl/05/contrib/amccarthy/amccarthy030503.pdf

And this is the answer from Xavi Drudis Ferran to it:
http://patents.caliu.info/aboutMcCarthyConsiderations.pdf

Here, sending this to her is archived:
http://www.aful.org/wws/arc/patents/2003-06/msg00040.html

So in your reply to your MEP, you can just ask if there is any answer to
the above mail from Xavi Drudis Ferran.

Apart from it, be sure to read the first page of Xavi's
aboutMcCarthyConsiderations.pdf, it basically says (As far as I
understand) that the first sentence of McCarhty's note is just
not true and mixes things which should not be mixed.

The result is a wrong impression to the reader of the note. It is
very badly written as Xavi's pdf points out.

And the directive isn't written better(IMHO)

Bernhard