Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open Group doing Open Source

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open Group doing Open Source
Date: 25 Jul 2003 19:47:26 +0100

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 11:03, Ramanan Selvaratnam wrote:
> >I think last year we had one person go, who was able to
> >take some leaflets up
> >
> ....and got me .... this is how I got to know of the AFFS.
> dunno whether it is a good thing or not with all this mails populating
> the list :-)

Ah, I didn't realise, I thought we sprung you from somewhere else. It's
definitely the sort of thing we ought to be going to, because of the
people who would be interested. I'm not sure why so few people I know go
though; I must move in different circles.

> Have you seen the array of exhibitors?
> <http://www.ukuug.org/events/linux2003/exhibition.shtml>
>
> ScotlandIs looks interesting as a onestop shop to get more audience.

Hmm, they do look interesting. Do we have any Scottish subscribers to
fsfe-uk? I suspect few.. it would be worth seeing if they would be
interested in setting up a Free Software SIG, they seem to be fairly
'innovation' oriented.

> Hmm, I am taking a bicylce up there so I see know problem with any
> amount of leaflets.

Having taken leaflets by train to places, I can assure you a bike
probably wouldn't be a good idea ;) Are you actually taking a push bike,
or a motorcycle?

As an addendum, going back on topic, this appeared in a timely fashion
on slashdot:

http://www.opengroup.org/tech/open-source/opengroup-os-strategy.htm

"An Open Source Strategy for the Open Group"

Interesting reading.