Re: [Fsfe-uk] Proof of how scared senseless higher ed is of MS

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Proof of how scared senseless higher ed is of MS
Date: 26 Jul 2003 15:35:18 +0100

On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 12:26, Martin WHEELER wrote:

> Ian -- care to give us a quick resume of all the different types of Govt
> funding available for re-training recalcitrant recidivists in the FE
> sector?  In industry?

Learning and Skills Councils have a lot of money for training. I am
talking to some people who know more about it but it will need a wider
strategy to get it targeted specifically on FLOSS training. I'm
considering working with schools to provide IT access from home for the
entire school community. FLOSS on refurbished machines is about the only
way this will happen any time soon and we might be able to get LSCs
involved to fund training with the incentive that the trainee keeps the
computer at the end. If we could get a few sites on this it would gain a
lot of publicity because the Gov wants this to happen but doesn't know
how to do it - it'll be unsustainably expensive on a new PC with
proprietary software route. I don't really think its worth wasting
energy on entrenched attitudes at this point. Let's go for easier wins
first and the luddites will just get dragged along later.

> > That said, the ones I really feel sorry for are the ones who know they
> > shouldn't be using MS, but carry on doing so
>
> In the education sector, this is probably a higher percentage than you
> expect.  (I have no figures; but plenty of experience "talking around".)
> But the inertia you have to overcome is unbelievable.  And frankly, not
> worth bothering to push against.

That depends. We have had some significant gains in the education sector
and its getting easier. Mind with the Government spending £100m a year
on E-learning credits to buy proprietary software you would have thought
1% of that on free software development is not a lot to ask. So let's
start lobbying for it.

> Demonstrate by example wherever possible, and let the herd follow of
> their own accord.
>
> >  In one part of the school I
> > have managed to duplicate everything we use under Windows under Linux
> > but no-one will take the plunge. They won't even allow dual boot...
>
> You have all my sympathies.
>
> But you do realise, don't you, that if ever any move towards an
> alternative to MS products is perceived as being in the interests of the
> organisation, it will be led not by you, but by politically astute
> creatures who will assimilate all your proselytizing ardour and work,
> and convert it to their own personal advantage?

So become politically astute ;-)

> In any organisation, advocating alternatives is empire-building; and
> will be dealt with as such.
>
> Who do you want to be -- Stalin or Stakhanov?

I'll stick to Ian. Its possible to enjoy strategy and subversion without
being a meglomaniac ;-

--
ian <address@hidden>