Re: [Fsfe-uk] Possible Event

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Possible Event
Date: 13 Sep 2003 23:00:23 +0100

On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 20:38, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2003-09-13 20:22:23 +0100 ian <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Sure OpenOffice.org and SchoolforgeUK would be interested in
> > attending.Question is how is it being financed?
>
> I'm hoping that will be answered in the near future.  The telephone
> conversation led me to believe that it's not being done for company
> profit

In some ways it might be better if it was! If a company is backing
something to make a profit you can be more sure that there is a strategy
to make it financially viable. Making a profit from business based on
FLOSS is to be encouraged because from it FLOSS will get more investment
and more diverse take up.

>  (the organiser is an FE lecturer).  Of course, my treasurer hat
> wants to see some firm plans before committing.

Well its sensible to know that there is some chance of it being viable
before committing a lot of effort. Opportunity cost etc.

--
ian <address@hidden>