Re: [Fsfe-uk] URGENT RFC: Text for UK swpat MP lobbying/slashdotting

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] URGENT RFC: Text for UK swpat MP lobbying/slashdotting
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:09:13 +0100

On 2003-10-17 16:18:57 +0100 Ramanan Selvaratnam <address@hidden> wrote:
I do not think this is a suitable article to send to any UK mainstream
MP or MEP.

I agree. That article is long, vague and meandering. A good piece for list members to read, think about, spot the bugs and find links to new projects, but it confuses things. For example, it seems to suggest that some benefits of open collaborative development models follow directly from the copyright-only position of open source.

We do have limited time to make our case to MPs on swpat. Maybe some day they'll read this sort of thing, or the article that appeared in New Scientist (I think) a while ago, and contemplate it, spotting the mistakes, but I suspect it won't get them interested at the start.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden