[Fsfe-uk] Newham, was: Brief report: OSS Watch launch conference. (fwd)

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Newham, was: Brief report: OSS Watch launch conference. (fwd)
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:37:11 +0000

On 2004-01-09 04:23:49 +0000 Ramanan Selvaratnam <address@hidden> wrote:

According to ZDNet, the Newham Borough is turning its back to open
source for security reasons and will deal with Microsoft instead. [...]

There's another article about this at http://www.silicon.com/software/os/0,39024651,39117624,00.htm

The quotes from Richard Steel there don't say what the risks are and I assumed that it was the risk of integration problems. I wonder if ZDNet are jumping to conclusions.

Last month, I was told by someone I consider an expert in the field that Newham council had talked too much too early about their investigations into GNU/Linux. They thought that Newham had attracted MS's special attention and would now be unlikely to actually progress to trials. Sadly, it seems Newham won't.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden