Re: [Fsfe-uk] feedback: General Need for Linux Training WAS FLOSS

From: Adam Moran
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] feedback: General Need for Linux Training WAS FLOSS
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:53:16 +0000

Hi,

I'm forwarding this email from Martin Wheeler of the [fsfe-uk] list:

Nigel, address@hidden [centres] wrote:

Where centres are dependent upon income from provision of
qualifications it is the demand generated by the learner that dictates
the software.

Quite simply not true.
Few centres provide qualifications. (They are not examination centres.)
They provide training towards gaining those qualifications.
Such centres send away potential Linux clients, saying: "Sorry; MS is
the world standard; we don't do non-standard courses".
[Please don't try and argue that this is not the case; as a
professional Linux trainer, I pick these people up afterwards. Their
universal cry is: "Thank God I've found someone who'll teach me Linux".]
Such centres are so deeply tied in to the MS certification publishing
industry (£27 per photocopied, plastic comb-bound courseware manual)
that they do not (and will not) hire /permanent/ Linux trainers -- due
almost entirely to the cost to themselves.
[I know because the more enlightened of them hire me on a temporary
basis when they really have to.]
Such centres would gladly sell training in anything -- as long as they
could get the trainers as easily and cheaply as they can get them for MS
courses.
It's the /cheap availability of trainers/ that decides what is available
for sale; not demand from potential learners.

Nigel, address@hidden [centres] wrote:

In general they have PCs with MS Office, as do their employers or
potential employers.  Whilst I agree Open Office is easy to use, I am
not persuaded that any move to Open Office would be welcomed by those
learners. They would probably look elsewhere.

Wrong.  In my experience, many have heard about alternatives to MS,
are interested; and are desperate to find someone -- anyone -- who can
*really* show them where it's all at with Linux.
They just have one hell of a hard time finding that first contact, is
all.
They're really not quite the dyed-in-the-wool MS junkies you'ld like to
make them out to be.

address@hidden                http://www.startext.co.uk/mwheeler/