Re: [Fsfe-uk] E-learning strategy analysis published

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] E-learning strategy analysis published
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:42:58 +0100

On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 14:13, Adam wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 16:08:51 +0100
> ian <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > The DfES has just published an analysis of the reponses in
> > the E-learning strategy consultation document. I haven't
> > read them yet but the files are in Word and Powerpoint
> > format. This is contrary to the E-envoy offices policy for
> > distribution of public documents. While the Word document
> > will open in OpenOffice.org it does not position the
> > graphics accurately. There really is no need for this to
> > be a Word document. Its not very long and could easily
> > have been displayed as an HTML page or pdf.
> >
> > Please E-mail address@hidden
> >
> > A more comprehensive complaints procedure is at
> > http://www.dfes.gov.uk/contactus/complaint.shtml
> >
> > Please get as many people to complain (politely) as
> > possible so they start to take these issues seriously.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > ian <address@hidden>
>
> I've just received an email telling me that the document is
> now also available in PDF and RTF formats. However, there
> are some further documents which are only available in
> powerpoint and word formats, which makes me think that they
> will only produce other formats if people ask.

I think its more likely that they do it if they are sufficiently
embarrassed! The people responsible are probably just ignorant when it
comes to these issues. In practical terms it might come to the same
thing, but they might not simply do it if asked unless there is the
lever that its their own policy to do it. I also sent the message out on
BECTa's research list and it *is* embarrassing for the DfES to make this
sort of gaff. The more we embarrass them (politely) the more likely they
are to remember next time ;-)

I was told at a meeting to-day that the website that gives guidance on
E-GIF compliance is itself not E-GIF compliant :-)

Complaining about such things only costs an E-mail so its a practical
way for all Free software advocates to make a difference by keeping
Government officials on their toes.

--
Ian Lynch <address@hidden>
ZMS Ltd