Re: [Fsfe-uk] RMS talk in Bristol, May 22.

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] RMS talk in Bristol, May 22.
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 23:06:31 +0100

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 10:22:40PM +0100, Brian Gough wrote:

> This may be of interest to those in the Southwest:

I may be able to visit friends there that weekend...

> Richard Stallman, founder of the Free Software Foundation, has been
> cited as one of the most important people in computing today. He will
> be discussing his belief that the copyright system does not fit well
> with computer networks, with global corporations that profit from
> copyright lobbying for harsh punishments to increase their copyright
> powers, whilst suppressing free public access to technology. There will
> also be the opportunity to ask Stallman questions about his work and
> ideas.

He's also a very good speaker, and knows how to defuse irrelevant (and
provocative) comments without getting things heated (like when someone
comments about 'open source' versus 'free').  I must admit I'd love to
talk to him about non-computing topics as well, we seem to share a
number of interests and opinions, but I doubt there's time...

> Fee: £3.00 full/ £2.00 concessions (fee to cover room hire costs)

Well worth it.

Do you have any idea how quickly they might sell out?

Chris C