Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software Patents

From: P.L.Hayes
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Software Patents
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:06:49 +0000

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:05:41 +0000
Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:

> On the UK-Parl list at the FFII, I gave an example of how you might
> describe the Quicksort algorithm in such a way as to show a technical
> contribution (reduction of CPU registers, reduction of memory
> bandwidth usage, affinity to modern RAM architectures). This kind of
> contribution must not be patentable, to my mind.

Or in it :)

I cannot bear even to look at that uk-parl discussion anymore so perhaps
you Alex or someone else knows whether anyone asked the DTI/UKPO about
their position on "program claims", as found in GB2388448 and GB2381886
-  patents which I was going to ask Mr. Probert about (wrt to "technical
contribution") until it became clear he would not talk about specifics
anyway.

Paul.