Re: [Fsfe-uk] FLOSS accounting package

From: Martyn
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] FLOSS accounting package
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:23:39 +0000

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 10:55 am, Chris Croughton wrote:
> At last year's AGM there was a guy (sorry I've forgotten his name) who
> was writing a FLOSS accounting package.  With the recent news that
> Quicken is going to be killed off, this seems like a good time to push
> such a thing and possibly to put some of the AFFS sponsorship money into
> it.

Okay, I've got two things to mention in one paragraph - quite unusual for
me! :-)

1. Pink Software's TurboCash is now GPL - how suitable it is to get it
compiling under a Free compiler is still unknown, but Lazarus is developing
fast, so it may be possible.

2. I also have started a GPL'd project that is being currently worked on in
works' time, but we are very pushed for time.  Whilst we currently have a
customer paying for my time to get it to v1.0, it is a project that should
quickly give lots of small to medium-sized businesses a really useful tool.
I am worried however, that it will end at v1.0 which will be specific to that
company, or at best industry.  If funding for my time were available, I would
hope to get it to v2.0 which will go back and remove all the short-cuts, make
it generic and hopefully make it extremely useful.  I'll post a link to the
(very bare) website once it's uploaded for comments on design (I'd really
appreciate feedback), usefulness and whether people think it would be worth
applying for funding.

Apologies for the brain-dump there :-)

--
Martyn Ranyard